Post 6: Time travel to the past: Les années folles parisiennes

(First of all, I apologize, I wrote this a little sleepy and got confused reading the instructions, I don't know why I was left with the idea that it was an independent time travel whether it was in the future or in the past. How I had already finished the post and because I was very excited writing it, I decided to publish it)




If I could travel back in time, I would love to travel to the happy and festive streets of Paris in the early 1920s, to the Années folles ("crazy years"), better known as The Roaring Twenties, those dazzling, witty and insolent, in which a certain wild delirium seized Paris.  Up to the limit was the unwritten motto.  And transgression a challenge.  The French capital became a whirlwind of parties, fashion, jazz, Charleston and art.  Thus, if I could travel back in time, on any given afternoon, after the hangover the night before, I would go to a cafe, where I would probably meet some of the most recognized writers, musicians and painters of today, such as Picasso or the brothers Fitzgerald, who regularly frequented city venues as a meeting point and refuge.  And at night, I would paint my lips red, put on my most comfortable and beautiful dress, and go dancing with my friends.


But this is not the only reason why I would like to travel to this era, I certainly found traveling to the Victorian era also interesting, wearing those beautiful (and uncomfortable) dresses, going to parties and visiting wonderful palaces.  Of course I later remembered that this was only possible if I was from high society, but what discouraged me the most was thinking about living in a time where the only role of women was to marry and have children, with no voice or vote.  This invisibility of women is intolerable to me, and to the women of the golden decade it was also unacceptable.

 


With the advent of social liberalism and after the end of the First World War, nonconformity and the desire for social freedoms began to resonate strongly in the mentality of men and women around the world, especially in women who were the ones who had more limitations about their rights and freedoms.  It was then that a movement emerged that did not understand social classes but had a common denominator: breaking with the established and leaving behind the macho oppression of society.


The daughters of jazz led the first step in women's sexual liberation, revolutionizing the traditional image of women.  They were young and rebellious who led a different lifestyle, worked, drove, drank alcohol, smoked, danced, listened to unconventional music of the time such as jazz, attended parties and dressed and make up differently, with short skirts and sporting a haircut à la garçonne.  This provocative image, which emulated that of American flappers, prevailed among the younger French women.  And if Paris on this date was a paradigm in music, writing and art, it was also in fashion, since this profound transformation of the female image was associated with the French capital of the 1920s at the hands of Coco Chanel .  If Paul Poiret eliminated the corset, Coco imposed freedom of movement: the garments were simplified, floated on the body and stopped being tight.  The skirts revealed successively the ankles and knees.  Her pants were pulled up and the first women's pajamas appeared.  For Chanel, “fashion is in the air, it is brought by the wind, it is felt, it is breathed, it is in the sky and in the streets, it is born from ideas, from customs, from the news.  If a woman wants to be elegant, she have to work ”.



Comentarios

Entradas populares